1935년생. 일본 와세다대 이공학부, 미국 일리노이 공과대학원(lT) 졸업. 동양나이론(주), 효성중공업(주), 효성물산(주) 대표이사 사장, 대한배구협회 회장, 한국경제연구원 원장, 태평양경제협의회(PBEC) 국제회장 역임.
현재 전국경제인연합회 회장, (주)효성 회장, 한일 경제협회 회장, 한미재계회의 위원장.
- Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of Hyosung Corporation (since 1982)
- Honorary Chairman of the Federation of Korean Industries (since 2011)
- Chairman of Korea-Japan Economic Association (since 2005)
- Chairman of Korea-Japan Cooperation Foundation for Industry and Technology (since 2005)
- Chairman of the Board of Director, Tongyang Education (since 1984)
- Member of Board of Trustee ; Illinois of Technology (since 1996)
- 1970. 5. President, Hyosung Tongyang Nylon Co., Ltd.
- 1973. 5. President, Hyosung Polyester Co., Ltd.
- 1974. 3. Board of Director, Korea National Skills Competition
- 1974. 4. Director, Korea Scout Association
- 1975. 10. President, Hyosung Heavy Industries Co., Ltd.
- 1976. 12. President, Hyosung Trading Co., Ltd.
- 1976. 12. Chairman, Korea-Denmark Economic Cooperation Council
- 1980. 9. Chairman, Korea Volleyball Association
- 1981. 2. Chairman, Hyosung Heavy Industries Co., Ltd.
- 1981. 2. Vice Chairman, Korea-Japan Economic Association
- 1987. 2. Vice Chairman, The Federation of Korean Industries
- 1992. 1. Chairman, The 26th Pacific Basin Economic Council (PBEC) Seoul IGM Organizing Committee
- 1992. 9. Member of Steering Committee, Korea-Japan Forum
- 1993. 2. President, Korea Economic Research Institute (KERI)
- 1993. 10. Vice President, Korea-U.S Business Council
- 1994. 5. Chairman of Korea, Pacific Basin Economic
- 1994. 6. Korea Representative, APEC PBF(Pacific Business Forum)
- 1998. 3. Chairman, Hyosung Tongyang Nylon Co., Ltd.
- 1999. 3. Vice Chairman, Pacific Basin Economic Council
- 2000. Chairman of Korea-U.S Business Council (2000-2009)
- 2002. 5. Chairman of Pacific Basin Economic Council (2002-2003)
- 2004. Emeritus Chairman of Pacific Basin Economic Council (2004)
- Chairman of the Federation of Korean Industries (2007 - 2011)
- Chairman of Korea Economic Research Institute (2007-2011)
- 1955. 3. Hibiya High School, Tokyo, Japan
- 1959. 3. B.S., Applied Chemistry, Waseda Univ., Tokyo, Japan
- 1965. 2. M.S., Chemical Engineering, Illinois Institute of Technology, Il, USA
- 2005. 3. Honorary Doctorate of Science, Waseda Univ., Tokyo, Japan
[ Prize and Award ]
- 1974. Bronze Tower Order, The President of Korea for Contribution to the Development of Export Industries
- 1980. The Order of Dannerbrog, H.M. Margrethe Il of Denmark
- 1982. Sport Merit Medal, The President of Korea
- 1987. Gold Tower Order, The President of Korea for Contribution to the Development of Technology
- 1994. The Grand Prize of Korean Top Management, The Korean Management Association
- 2000. International Leaders Awards, Illinois Institute of Technology, Il, USA
- 2009. Grand Cordon of the Order of the Rising Sun, Japan