The Seoul Forum For International Affairs (SFIA)
Logo and Menu
Member's Archive Submenu
- Korea Remodeling (Cloud 9, 2017) is published. The SFIA and the Yonsei University Museum create The Seoul Forum for International Affairs Archive to collect and preserve Seoul Forum’s works (1986~). New on-line newsletter Seoul Perspective is launched.
- The 30th Anniversary International Conference of the Seoul Forum for International Affairs is held to assess key contextual variables and changes that are affecting Korea, Asia and the rest of the world.
- In June 2015, the Seoul Forum for International Affairs (SFIA) and Institute for International Policy Studies (IIPS) published a joint report under the title “Envisioning the Next Fifty Years of Korea-Japan Ties,” in celebration of the 50th anniversary of diplomatic normalization between the Republic of Korea and Japan.
- With the dissolution of the YoungSan Foundation, its funds are transferred to SFIA along with its annual “Diplomat of the Year Award,” which will be hosted by SFIA from 2015 under the name “YoungSan Diplomat Award.”
- The SFIA, Asan Institute of Policy Studies, Australian Strategic Policy Institute (ASPI), and the Centre for International Governance Innovation (CIGI) hold a seminar on “Constructive Powers and Regional Security in the Asia-Pacific.” The SFIA hosts a Korea-Canada Middle Power Workshop under the title “Korea-Canada Middle Power Leadership and Cooperation.”
- Jung Ku-Hyun is inaugurated as President.
- Six bilateral forums, including the first ones with Kazakhstan and Japan, are held. A joint research project with the CFR on North Korea policy is completed.
- The SFIA and the CFR carry out a joint research project and coorganize a workshop on “North Korea Policy and the Korea-U.S. Alliance.” The Tenth Yongpyeong Seminar and a special seminar is held to review Korea’s hosting of the G-20 Summit.
- Kim Dalchoong is inaugurated as President.
- Various meetings and seminars are held as an extension of the Seoul Forum’s 20th anniversary.
- The SFIA marks its 20th anniversary and sponsors a number of seminars including an international conference.
- Han Sung-Joo is re-elected as President and former President Kim Kyung-won is elected as President Emeritus.
- The SFIA hosts a conference on managing Korea-U.S. alliance and inter-Korean relations. The Fourth Yongpyeong Seminar is held.
- The Yongpyeong Seminar is launched as an annual meeting of members and their families.
- The first China Study Mission is organized.
- The SFIA and the Council on Foreign Relations (CFR) conduct joint research on North Korea policy and co-organize a conference on Korea-U.S. relations.
- The 10th Seoul Forum anniversary conference is held and a research project is carried out on the future of ROK-U.S. relations and South-North relations after the Cold War.
- A series of meetings are held on Korea-U.S. relations.
- The first “Korea-U.K. Forum for the Future” is organized and the SFIA holds various meetings including the Salzburg seminar, a Korea-U.S. workshop on East Asian security, and an international conference on world order in the 21st century.
- The SFIA plays a key role as a founding institution of the Council for Security Cooperation in the Asia Pacific (CSCAP), a non-governmental, multilateral organization that is devoted to spearheading track two security cooperation in the Asia-Pacific. A bilateral forum with China is launched.
- Kim Kyung-won is elected as the third President. Han Sung-Joo is elected as the Chairman and Lee Hong-Koo as the Chairman Emeritus.
- The SFIA is formally registered with the Ministry of Foreign Affairs as a non-profit organization. Conferences and forums with participants from the Soviet Union and Eastern European countries are organized.
- The First Western European Forum, the First Korea-Austria Forum, the First Taipei-Seoul Forum, and the third Korea-U.S. Forum are held. The SFIA continues to focus on major challenges facing the ROK-U.S. alliance and launches an in-house “ROK-U.S. Policy Study Committee.” The SFIA conducts seminars and workshops on ROK-U.S. relations, and a policy recommendation report is submitted to the Korean and American governments.
- The SFIA reviews South Korea’s emerging foreign policy agendas and holds key bilateral forums: the First Korea-Malaysia Forum, the Second Korea-Thailand Forum, the First Korea-Philippines Forum, The First ASEAN-Korea Forum, and the Second Korea-U.S. Forum.
- Affairs is founded by Lee Hong-Koo and twenty-two leading experts from the academic, business, media, and legal communities. Lee Hong-Koo is elected as the Seoul Forum’s first President. The SFIA initially focuses on organizing bilateral forums with ASEAN countries.
* The Seoul Forum sponsors its first bilateral meeting, the Korea-U.S. Forum prior to its formal founding in 1985.
Copyrights and Contact details
- ADDRESS 3rd Fl., S1 Bldg., 25 Sejong-daero 7gil, Jung-gu, Seoul, Korea, 04511
TEL. 82-2-779-7383 FAX. 82-2-779-7380 E-Mail. email@example.com
Copyright © 2018 The Seoul Forum for International Affairs. All Rights Reserved.
Display page loading image